The club intends to run the Christmas handicap on 19th December subject to the lifting of lockdown
Due to the Covid situation things will be a bit different this year. Maintaining a safe distance on the river or tow path will be at best difficult so I intend to move the start and finish for this year only. It is unfair to other canal users to expect them to dive out of the way if we have 10 harriers charging along to secure a better place in he race so i am not prepared to take the risk
The intention is to start and finish the race in the field behind Brackenhall Country side centre or Shipley Glen
Also, this year to replace he festive fun we are missing on our club trip the warming of a Santa Suit will be compulsory for Senior runners.
I make this distinction because I am also proposing staging a junior handicap to the trig point and back whilst seniors our out
Apart from the new start and finish location the senior course will be extended as follows:
- After crossing the stream in Spring woods DO NOT turn left. Instead continue straight on up the hill following the public footpath toward Hawksworth
- Before entering final field go over stile on left. This a public footpath but there is no sign to indicate this. I hope to have a marshal here on the day
- The path goes diagonally across the fields to a small stile to the right of farm gate. Go through stile and follow field boundary on left to gate in corner of field
- Through gate and pick up farm track going South looking toward Baildon follow to next gate and go through gate. Immediately turn right going diagonally for 30 meters to stile in wall into next field
- Turn left and follow boundary wall right to field corner, hen turn right and follow wall for another 200 meters to stile with yellow footpath marker. DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO CUT ACROSS THE FIELD MAKING A B LINE FROM STILE TO STILE. It’s not a right of way and I hear the farmer has protected clover. I also hear he is a good shot!
- Go over stile and head steeply down hill following wall to arrive at stile on edge of woods. Go over stile and you are back on the old route….Simples Yah ?
ENTRY WILL BE PRE ENTRY ONLY…£5.00…..No pay on the day. First away will be 1pm
You will be told your start time a couple of days before hand. I hope to make some form of refreshments available.
More concise details will be sent out and put on here later.
Any questions, concerns, requests, arguments about route, price, or views on what you think your handicap should, be please e mail me firstname.lastname@example.org